Before we begin, here are a few words about nomenclature:

‘Swing’ is a term used to refer to a style of dance, as well as a style of music. ‘Swing’ is technically more of an umbrella term, covering a range of dance styles (such as Lindy Hop, Shag, Balboa, etc.), plus all the stylistic and regional variations (East Coast, West Coast, etc.). At AberSwing we focus primarily on Lindy Hop, but we also do a bit of Balboa and 1920s Charleston.

You may have also heard of Jitterbug. “Lindy Hop” and “Jitterbug” are generally seen as different words for the same dance. Some people think that the term “Jitterbug” was coined to refer to Lindy Hop as danced by white people. Nowadays, the terms are largely interchangeable.

Leave a Reply